The first ten videos to play on MTV the day it debuted, August 1, 1981:
1. "Video Killed the Radio Star" The Buggles
2. "You Better Run" Pat Benatar
3. "She Won't Dance With Me" Rod Stewart
4. "You Better You Bet" The Who
5. "Little Suzi's on the Up" Ph.D.
6. "We Don't Talk Anymore" Cliff Richard
7. "Brass in Pocket" The Pretenders
8. "Time Heals" Todd Rundgren
9. "Take It on the Run" REO Speedwagon
10. "Rockin' the Paradise" Styx
Of the 209 videos aired during the first 24 hours, many were run more than once. "You Better You Bet" by The Who, also the first video to be rerun, and "Just Between You And Me" by April Wine tied for the most airings at five apiece. Video number 100 was "Let's Go" by The Cars, which aired only once. "Lonely Boy" by Andrew Gold, also a one-timer, closed out the day.
Other notable first-day landmarks:
9. The REO Speedwagon video was the first live concert video to be aired on MTV, from their Live Infidelity home video release.
16. "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden was the first Heavy Metal song to be played on MTV.
41. "Angel of the Morning" by Juice Newton was the first country video to air.
62. "Rat Race" by The Specials was the first video featuring both black and white artists to air on MTV.